Monday, July 31, 2006

Nice (15th - 16th July)

Photo album: Nice, France (15th - 16th July)

Wah really intensive blogging these days. Haha. Heh keep slacking at home cos I wun get to do it after work starts tml! Hee and better blog about the trip while I still remember, so that I can retain some kind of travel log for myself too. The diary we wrote during the trip stopped at Paris. Haha. Too tired everyday to keep writing le. Heh lousy hor. Well anyway, here's Nice! The capital of the French Riveria. Suppose to be a good base for exploring the nearby cities of Monaco and Cannes. But sadly, we din have the time.

Sunday was our 2nd day in Nice. And GAWD. Please do not ever visit Nice on a Sunday. Everywhere's close. The supermarket, most yummy and recommended restaurants, major retail outlets along Jean Mecedin etc. It was so boring. We resorted to having Macs for breakfast lah. Faints. But the hot chocolate was surprisingly super yummy. Hee. Oh actually this Sunday situation happened in Rome too. But it wasn't as bad lah. Just that we walked all the way to find the Cacio de Pepe place to eat and it was CLOSED! It was really super out of the way can. Hais. So please make sure where is open and where's not on Sundays when planning for your Europe trip. But thankfully there's always the beach in Nice. :)

Sights

Well anyway Nice was really pretty! Especially the beach, the sky, the sea etcetc. This picture makes the sky and sea seem like one...

I was really quite wowed by it when I walking towards the beach. I saw the sky first...den as I walked down I saw the sea...but wasn't sure if it was cos the colour was so similar. We spent loads of time on the beach and walking along the Promenade des Anglais. The beach is actually a stony beach. Weird right, but it was actually quite okie to lie on it with just a towel beneath. And talking about the beach! It seems pretty okie for the women to just tan topless ar. Din get to see that at Lido beach. Yeah young or old, they'll just lie topless, go into the sea, use the showers in the open like that. Was a bit stunned at first. Hiakshiaks. *covers Ryan's eyes*

Hmm we had fun exploring Vieux Nice (Nice's Old Town) - more of deciding what to eat actually, plenty of restaurants there! We went up the Colline de Chateau (Castle Hill) to catch a pretty amazing view of Nice's coastline. Ohyup we also saw the Russian church Cathedreale Orthodoxe Russe built by Tsar Nicholas II! Quite different from the others that we have seen in Italy. More colourful I guess.

We also saw the famous Hotel Negresso where people like Churchill, Chaplin, Picasso, the Beatles were once guests. Heh the guidebook said that it resembles a wedding cake and I just have to agree. It's pink and white and heavily guarded. Only for the rich and famous I suppose. :)

Our hostel

We stayed in the Hostel Pastoral located near the train station. No problems finding the place at all as the directions given were easy to follow. A very youthful atmosphere - lots of young people staying and manning the place. They even lent us a couple of beach towels. For the first time, we actually had a fridge in the room! But we were only spending one night here (we took a night train on the 2nd night) so it wasn't of much use. We also had our own bathroom. Actually there's really not much difference using a shared or private bathroom I realise. It's always like so clean. No bad bathroom experiences this trip. Heh the hotel also had the ancient lift (The hostel in Rome had this too!)

Really ancient leh! Must close the external door and the door lift itself den you can press the button and go up. Haha quite interesting. So retro. When I first saw it in Rome, I really dare not to take lah! Looks like it's going to breakdown any minute kinda pattern. Luckily it din. Phew.

Food

Hmm we tried the recommended restaurant in the Hostelworld guide on the first day and it was great! The service and food! It's located just under the Eglise du Gesu, so it can be easily found.

Restaurant du Gesu (1 Place du Jesus)

The farcis (stuffed vegetables) was quite delicious! I was a little hesistant about ordering it initially. It's vegetables leh. But so glad that we ordered it. Yumyums! Err and I ordered carbonara again. Very loser ar, keep ordering the same thing. But the sauce wasn't as nice as that in Italy. Too diluted. Huge serving though. And why were we so happy at this place?? Because...

We had free water for once!!! Din get this at all when we were in Italy. And also for once, there's no service charge!! It's already included in the price of the food. Usually we have to pay like 1-2eur a person for cover charge in Italy. Hehee.

We also tried socca! It's actually a thin layer of chickpea flour and olive oil batter fried on a griddle. K lah, it's just fried flour. Nothing really special. And i still dun understand what's chickpea.

There were a lot of shops selling fresh (I think) biscuits! Smells super good and looks very tempting. But everytime we walked past, we were like super full. The chocolates look very tempting right! Sigh but we couldnt buy home as it would most likely spoil or kena squashed by the time we return to sg le lah. Saw a couple of pig heads in one of the shops. Heehee so cute.

We departed from Nice on our 2nd night for the night train to Paris! The sleeping compartments were all fully booked so we took the recliner seats instead. They were more comfortable than I thought and we actually managed to get some sleep while we were on it. The ride was pleasant except for the irritating spoilt brat sitting in front of Ryan who kept lowering his seat. Hmph. Feel so xin tong for dearie. Had half a mind to do something about it but Ryan would always tell me "It's okie dear, we're on a holiday. Nevermind" Hee dearie was so patient with everything during the trip. Finding the hostel, finding where's the place we wanna eat at etc. And especially with me! Hee so happy. Makes me feel so loved. :)

Labels:


Comments:
Paul and I loved Nice!!! Your blog's making me wanna fly to Europe again. Right now! Hehe.
 

heehee writing about it makes me wish i'm there now too. :)
 

Post a Comment



Back to main